Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Marx-a-what?

It seems that Peter Barry is not the genius I thought he was, instead maybe just a man that can simplify theory to the point where it makes sense to me, but no longer holds the meaning it should. He is an over-simplifier. Its very hard to find a happy medium between Barry's book and Rice and Waugh. I feel like I am constantly getting the true meaning of Marxist Literary Theory within inches of my grasp and then it kind of just floats away in a mocking tone. I think, or at least I hope, that I finally understand the text is not important at all, it is how the text is produced or presented to us that matters. And that is what perpetuates our culture's beliefs/economy/lifestyles (whether that be a bourgeois society or not, because I'm not sure I really know what a bourgeois society is) -- its how the text is produced that "ensures reproduction." Does that make sense? It does in my head.

Hopefully Dr. Craig's blog on Marxism will shed a little more light on the how idea, so that I don't have to go one like a blundering idiot in my next post.

No comments: