Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Okay, I didn't write Harry Potter, but I am going to write about him

So, we have a terrific final essay for our class in which we can apply a theory(s) to a text, or do a number of other things with theories. I am choosing to apply the Marxist theory to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Okay, so it isn't exactly the Marxist theory, its more like Marxist/psychoanalytic/historicism. I don't really know how I came up with the idea, I kind of just woke up one morning and it was in my head. I'm not sure I have a very solid argument, but it keeps getting better the more I think about it. The third and final thesis I came up with goes a little like this: "Whether intentionally or not, J.K. Rowling's novel, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a commentary on the negative consequences of cultural capitalism and social-Darwinism, while the selling of the book itself perpetuates capitalist ideals." I hope that makes sense to someone other than myself.

I want to talk about Grindelwald (which I suppose if you have never read the book, you will have no idea what I am talking about...) because he runs a campaign "For the Greater Good" which really erked me while I was reading it. I know a lot of people have related this and Lord Voldemort's "superior race" thing to Hitler and Nazi Germany, but I feel like that may be too obvious, and I would rather equate Grindelwald and Lord Voldemort to people like the Steel King's during the Industrial Revolution.

I think Hegemony plays a big part in the book, through Grindelwald and Lord Voldemort. They both try to (and sometimes succeed at) convincing the wizard world that a relative truth, like wizards are superior to muggles, as a unitary truth. And in my head Lord Voldemort's manipulation of the Ministry of Magic is closely related to how most multi-billion dollar corporations manipulate our government.

So even though I think J.K. Rowling is showing social capitalism in a negative light, I think it interesting how much money she has made from the book and other Harry Potter products. I would also like to talk about how Harry Potter has become cultural capital. "If you haven't read Harry Potter you are a LOSER!" I suppose you can argue that most people can afford the Harry Potter books, but they do create this feel of "elitism"... or at least I think they do.

What do you guys think? Because writing about Dreamworks' Bee Movie would be so much easier, it's not too late!

3 comments:

barrowme said...

HP is the WAY TO GO! I am telling you, you have some great ideas. I did not even think about some of the implications of HP and Marxism and such.
I love HP and must tell a secret (well, it won’t be after I tell you). I only read the last HP because I NEEDED to know what happened to the whole gang. HP really is elitist. I never though about all the little kids running around asking me if I read them. When I said no they looked at me, a smart college student, like I was an idiot. It didn’t feel too nice.
I don’t really have anything else to say. Good luck, I think this is the best topic so far. Great job!

Rachel said...

Thanks for your comment Nick, I am still considering writing about Tomb Raider, and I included this in my annotated bibliography but I have not seen it in a while to remember all of the details and such. We should watch it this weekend (because I love it too).
I think your Harry Potter ideas are becoming more solid, and you should also have more confidence with your thesis, it is a solid argument in my opinion. Anyway, have a good day and look out for the dementors.
Expecto Patronum!!!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patronus_Charm

Margot said...

I'm so torn, I love your idea for a paper topic ( I considered viewing it from the feminist prespective) but i decided against it because when it come to Harry Potter and J.K. Rowling- I SUCH a liberal humanist. I think it would ruin my enjoyment of the book- but at the same time, reading Harry Potter for a 3000 lev. english class sounds like my cup of tea. On the contrary (just to play devils advocate) Rowling herself was dirt poor writting on paper napkins, and now.. well you know.
But anyways i look foward to hearing how it comes along!
:)